FISH AND WATER!
Our new name and logo.
High Schoolers - Sign Up for Fish U 2013
Welcome to the SIU Center for Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Aquatic Sciences, a research center for both freshwater and marine science.
Southern Illinois is a great location for fisheries, fish biology, and aquatic research, with many lakes, streams, and rivers in which to work. We have a strong marine biology component and are within a day's drive to the Gulf of Mexico and the Great Lakes.
Students from our program get jobs in many fields including:
- fisheries management in state & federal agencies
- aquaculture in public and private sectors
- marine biologist
- aquarium facilitator (e.g., Shedd Aquarium)
- marine & freshwater ecology
- university professor
- environmental consulting
- non-profit conservation groups
- Congrats to Franklin Woitel who successfully defended his thesis (and how!) on lipid nutrition of cobia. Now that he's conquered a tropical carnivore, he's headed north to tackle coldwater fishes [5/17/13]
- Director Garvey featured by Illinois Water Survey [5/3/2013]
- SIU sturgeon research featured in Fisheries magazine's front cover [4/30/12]
- Dr. Chloe de Perre is one of three finalists for the 2013 American Chemistry Society AGRO Division New Investigator Award [4/28/13]
- Bill Hintz won a Dissertation Research Award for 2013-2014 [4/28/13]
- Julie Schroeter highlighted by the College of Agricultural Sciences [4/23/13]
- Congrats to Carlin Fenn (adviser, Brian Small) (again) for scoring the 2013 Sigma Xi Graduate Poster Award & the Research Town Meeting 2nd Place Poster Award [4/23/13]
- Congrats to Kelli Barry, Cheyenne Adams, and Andrew Ciuris, undergrads who won REACH awards for research [4/9/13]
- Now looking for 2013 IGERT fellows in watershed science (PhDs) [3/29/13]
- Fish Feed and Nutrition Workshop at SIU, Sept. 22-24. Sign up now. [3/20/13]
- We're on Twitter.
- [more news]
- More info also on [Facebook]