Come School with us!
Welcome to the SIU Center for Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Aquatic Sciences, a research center for both freshwater and marine science.
Southern Illinois is a great location for fisheries, fish biology, and aquatic research, with many lakes, streams, and rivers in which to work. We have a strong marine biology component and are within a day's drive to the Gulf of Mexico and the Great Lakes.
Working with dedicated faculty
Developing professional connections
Accessing world-class facilities
Students from our program get jobs in many fields including:
- fisheries management in state & federal agencies
- aquaculture in public and private sectors
- marine biologist
- aquarium facilitator (e.g., Shedd Aquarium)
- marine & freshwater ecology
- university professor
- environmental consulting
- non-profit conservation groups
- Paul Hitchens interviewed on aquaculture in Illinois [2/28/14]
- Andy Yung successfully defended his thesis on movement of VHS between Lake Michigan and the Illinois River [2/21/14]
- SIU Student Subunit of AFS wins most active subunit award from NCD [2/1/14]
- Director Garvey on NPR about carp [10/22/13]
- Congrats to Luke Nelson for defending thesis on effect of harvest and processing on Asian carp quality [10/22/13]
- Carlin Fenn defended an excellent thesis “Evaluating the Endocrine Regulation of Shovelnose Sturgeon Growth” [10/18/13]
- Dr. Mike Lydy and colleagues publish important article on aquatic insect tolerance to pesticides [10/18/13]
- 2013 Center photo [10/8/13]
- Congrats to Brittany Szynkowski on defending her thesis on carp reproduction in the field [10/8/13]
- Congratulations to Jeff Hillis on defending his masters thesis on contaminated and confused bluegills. [7/22/13]
- Carlin Fenn wins the 2012-2013 Lewis Aquaculture Award [7/19/13]
- Recent grad Elliott Kittel featured by National Geographic [5/21/13]
- Congrats to Franklin Woitel who successfully defended his thesis (and how!) on lipid nutrition of cobia. Now that he's conquered a tropical carnivore, he's headed north to tackle coldwater fishes [5/17/13]
- Director Garvey featured by Illinois Water Survey [5/3/2013]
- SIU sturgeon research featured in Fisheries magazine's front cover [4/30/12]
- We're on Twitter.
- [more news]
- More info also on [Facebook]