Welcome to the SIU Center for Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Aquatic Sciences, a research center for both freshwater and marine science.
Southern Illinois is a great location for fisheries, fish biology, and aquatic research, with many lakes, streams, and rivers in which to work. We have a strong marine biology component and are within a day's drive to the Gulf of Mexico.
Did you know?
- We help Illinois fish farmers raise more than $2 million a year
- Our faculty are internationally known for their accomplishments
- Center research brings millions of dollars to the Southern Illinois economy annually
- We provide educational and professional outreach to local schools and organizations
- Fish and water are wonderful resources
- CFAAS is a member of the National Association of University Fisheries and Wildlife Programs
Students from our program get jobs in many fields including
- fisheries management in state & federal agencies
- aquaculture in public and private sectors
- marine biologist
- aquarium facilitator (e.g., Shedd Aquarium)
- marine & freshwater ecology
- university professor
- environmental consulting
- non-profit conservation groups